Monday, June 29, 2009

Mark Prensky Discussion

Mark Prensky has two categories for everyone in regard to the digital age. The distinctions are simple: "Digital Natives" and "Digital Immigrants". By age alone, i am characterized as a Native, but i do consider myself a slight hybrid. So, what does it mean to be a "Digital Prius?" Well, my definition means that even though i am a native, i have an octogenarian's basic understanding of computer technology. I use my cellphone and i check my e-mail, but that is where my expertise ends. I am not afraid to ask my 6 year old cousin to save me when my screen turns blue, but what does frighten me is that I can ask him how to do this on his new iPhone.

1 comment:

  1. I'm encouraged to hear that a bright young person doesn't consider himself a "natural" at technology: do you think most young people your age would say the same? Is the main problem that the tools are there, but since someone's a young person with young persons' interests (talking to friends, staying in touch via e-mail, etc.)that even thinking about using the tools to learn is just an alien idea? I'm pretty intrigued by this!

    ReplyDelete